(urth) Typhon & Whorl

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 23 10:41:48 PST 2007

great stuff, and I especially was always puzzled by the zen like koan where Ymar gets up and follows the dog (remember, he sits under a tree, and all manner of men and women come by, but he only moves to follow the dog) -but this idea makes it very, very important and masterfully relevant.  otherwise, it is inscrutable.  Sev1's bond with Triskele ... yet would Sev1 have the power to return Triskele from the dead, as Sev 2 did - ie - "he was the smallest of those dead", to paraphrase?

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com wrote:

LS/SS was surely more confusing than it had to be, peaking at
something not far off maximal confusion in RTTW.
Turn now to SilkHorn's Urth visit at the end of RTTW. As I wrote a
while ago, the timing is not consistent with NS. In RTTW, Sev has
Triskele on both the occasions SilkHorn meets him, and those
occasions are surely more than a week apart. Also, the RTTW Sev
seems more attached to Triskele - his rather odd insistence that
SilkHorn see the dog, the nest he's made for him. I think this
isn't a slip by Wolfe. The RTTW Sev has kept Triskele for longer,
and cared more for him.

I think, in fact, that the RTTW Sev is Sev1. SilkHorn's visit is
the event which causes him to leave the guild with Triskele and
presumably follow the armies north. No New Sun, no encounter with
Juturna in Gyoll, no meeting with Vodalus, no Triskele nightmare