(urth) Prior Race On Blue And Green

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Sun Dec 16 20:01:24 PST 2007

On Dec 16, 2007, at 9:50 PM, Michael Dale wrote:

> Who is the Undine that exist on Blue? It is not Scylla if she is
> also on Urth I think.  (so long that SilkHorn cannot time travel)
>
> I heard someone say that the undines put a blackhole in the sun.  I
> don't think so since they want to survive on the Urth also.

I don't know that I like this idea, but it's a new one to me:

What if the Whorl never actually GOES anywhere?

I've wondered before what the acceleration means in terms of whether
its bodies of water stay put, and whether that gives a maximum and
minimum time for its trip.

But what happens if the Whorl just kinda wanders around the Solar
System for a few centuries, or millennia, or aeons, and Silk's trip to
meet Severian is "mere" time travel, not spatial travel?  What if Blue
and Green *are* Earth and Venus in the future after the arrival of the
New Sun?

I now need to think and read and see whether that's at all internally
consistent.

Another sort-of-snarky point: what if TBot*S isn't _meant_ to be hard
SF?  Maybe we're just supposed to read it as _The Dying Earth_ written
by someone who can really, really write (look, I like Jack Vance too,
but he's no Gene Wolfe), and who has read his Borges.

Adam