(urth) PF - Lesage & Ignacio

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Fri Dec 14 16:09:54 PST 2007

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 01:46:17 +1100 paul witcover <gdeonn at yahoo.com>
wrote:

>  Some fascinating speculation, and I think you may be on to
>something re: Ignacio's role in Lesage's betrayal.  But Chris is
>almost killed in that betrayal; would Iganacio really have
>launched an action that could very easily have wound up in the
>death of his earlier self, with highly unclear implications for
>the causality of his own present (or future) existence?

Yep, that's certainly a soggy spot in the theory. I guess Fr Chris
could be lying about the events of the night - eg maybe what
actually happened was that he was tied up while asleep & left
alone, or something. But I'd hate to think that he explicitly lies
in the narrative - if there, why not everywhere?

It might be worth having another look at yr Lesage-as-dad theory -
something around that could also let Lesage know about times &
places. Eg: Dad also follows Chris1 back in time, to become Lesage
... But Lesage would have to be old enough for that to fit - around
about 40, I think - and I don't know if we have anything suggesting
that.

Also, I'm convinced that Ignacio is involved somehow - but then
again I'm biased against the guy :)

>  Another thought that's been nibbling at my brain is about the
>moment that Chris first encounters the Native American slave he
>purchases and then frees (Hoodas, who seems to be the real-life
>model for Friday in Crusoe).  At that moment, Chris says:  "And I
>fet as though He were standing right behind me, laying His pierced

>hand on my shoulder. This is it, Chris. This is the moment. What
>are you going to do?"
>
>  I wonder, only partially seriously, if Chris was brought back
>just for this moment, as the answer to Friday's prayers, and
>everything else is incidental to that.

I thought about that too, but I couldn't do anything much with it.
It seems that Hoodas brutally murders the innkeeper & his son at
the sack of Maracaibo, which doesn't seem like the kind of thing
you'd expect if Jesus had intervened here :)

>I also wonder if "Hoodas"
>could be a Judas-like character, and that he, rather than Ignacio,

>is responsible for Lesage's betrayal.  Do we know what becomes of
>Hoodas?

I assumed that he was one of the many who died in the sea battle
with the treasure fleet, but that doesn't have to be so. It is a
little odd that he has an (old?) friend on Chris' ship (Red Jack?
can't remember) - what's with that?