(urth) The Soundtrack

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 15:34:13 PDT 2007

> I think the idea of a Memento with Greek gods would baffle people.

I agree, especially since the gods in the Greek portion of "Soldier"
are way too obscure for pedestrian movie watchers. Zeus, Athena,
Hermes are nowhere to be found. Demeter and Hecate are major gods but
are unknown to more than a tiny subset 14-30 year olds. And even when
they aren't obscure, they either appear in unfamiliar fashion as Ares
does in "Arete" and as Aphrodite does in Corinth in "Mist", or without
any visual identifiers that would help the audience know who he is.

For example, I can imagine when (is it) Odysseus?? comes in to help
Latro by holding back the fighters, some producer will want a screen
tag that says:
"Odysseus. Hero of the Trojan War and famous explorer of Greek legend.
He is long dead by this time."

When I first read SotM in the 80s, I had only the vaguest knowledge
about Dionysus and was totally lost during the Silenus encounter.

Incidentally, Dionysus never actually makes an appearance in that
scene, does he?