(urth) The Soundtrack

Nathan Spears spearofsolomon at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 09:48:22 PDT 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:50:46 AM
Subject: Re: (urth) The Soundtrack

> I understand that the hero in the new movie "The Lookout" is lacking
> short-term memory due to an accident.

His memory is affected but it is a different type of damage than Latro's.  He lacks the ability to sequence normally, for instance, and also has some disinhibition issues.  It's an absorbing movie.

> It is interesting to me that both Memento and the "Soldier" novels
> have an underlying sub-theme of the skeptical value of written memory:

I don't think anyone would be able to film the Soldier novels without being (unfairly) compared to Memento, if only because so many people were exposed to knowledge of the condition originally through Memento.  Add the fact that Memento explored the issues involved pretty thoroughly, and that the movie was so well made, and I think the idea of a Memento with Greek gods would baffle people.