(urth) Severian's sex Life

James B. Jordan jbjordan4 at cox.net
Sat Apr 7 07:49:32 PDT 2007

At 07:54 AM 4/7/2007, you wrote:

>I think you should consider Latro and Able for an answer to this
>question.
>
>Severian's promiscuity has a lot to do with his brand of anti-hero.
>He's a guy who is generally nasty and bad to the core, does bad
>things reflexively, and yet he is a prophesied vessel of redemption
>for the human race.

         Gene's answer to me about Severian in general was that Sev
has a horrible background and is only gradually overcoming it. His
calling, of course, is far better than his person, as you say above.
Additionally, Wolfe knows enough about other cultures to know that
the idea of male chastity is pretty much limited to Jewish and
Christian societies, and really mostly to Protestant or
Protestant-influenced Christian societies. Severian is not living in
such a society.

Nutria