(urth) Severian's sex Life

Transentient transentient at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 05:54:59 PDT 2007

I think you should consider Latro and Able for an answer to this
question.

Severian's promiscuity has a lot to do with his brand of anti-hero.
He's a guy who is generally nasty and bad to the core, does bad
things reflexively, and yet he is a prophesied vessel of redemption
for the human race.

Latro in the first two books lacks the kind of continuity he'd need
to have a monogamous relationship, he keeps forgetting who it is that
he is in love with and sex just happens for him. He knows he is not
supposed to sleep with IO though.

Able is a mean guy on the outside but a tender-hearted kid on the
inside. ("I know exactly what you mean!") His core direction comes
from his virtuous love for this one female.

I think Wolfe has a complex idea of what the significance of his
character's sexual relations is, and I think it is kind of seperated
from other facets which can be thought of as good or bad.