(urth) Wolfe movies from short stories

Rex Lycanthrosaurus lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 12 09:20:42 PDT 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:57:34 -0600, "Michael Straight"
<mfstraight at gmail.com> said:

> Oh, and what's the name of the story about the three Disney robots at
> the end of the world?

Not by Wolfe, but Howard Waldrop: "Heirs of the Perisphere."

As for movies, I think the first third of FIFTH HEAD would make a good
film, especially if directed by someone stylish like Christopher Nolan.
It would start with the murder of Maitre by persons unknown, and then a
prefect from Saint Croix could undertake to solve the case by looking at
various of Cave Canem's denizens, each of whom might have a motive for
killing Maitre: his two sons, his crippled scientist-sister, his robot
progenitor, a disgruntled employee (prostitute) of or visitor (john) to
the House at 666 Saltimbanque or even a visiting anthropologist from
Earth. I'd also eliminate for ease of backstory the abo-Saint Anne
connection and make the shapechangers native to Saint Croix. Only at the
end would we learn of the cloning connection and its ramifications.

--
  Rex Lycanthrosaurus
  lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm