(urth) Wolfe movies from short stories

Michael Straight mfstraight at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 09:18:10 PDT 2007

On 4/12/07, Recursive Loop <recursive_loop at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, you might be saying (as you said in the previous title in your list) that it
> would be perceived as a BR rip-off.
>
> Would that be a problem? At least, if it were well done?

Yeah, I was talking about how it would be received.  The thing is,
it's not duplicating the feel of Blade Runner (in fact it might look
more like Predator or one of the last two Rambo movies) but the
central high concept: is the protagonist a replicant or not?

Then there could also be the Sixth Sense ripoff: The Other Dead Man.
Actually, that could be an awesome movie. Pitch it as 2001 meets the
Sixth Sense and you could probably get some serious $$$.

I'd also think you could get a really good movie out of Ming the
Mercilless, if you got a sufficiently creepy actor for Ming and framed
it as cutting back and forth between the interview with Ming and the
action in the experiment.  Hollywood would probably require adding a
third act where some of Ming's minons get free and rescue him and then
the hero psychologist (who was opposed to the experiment from the
beginning) defeats and kills him.

Rostrum