(urth) The Soundtrack

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 07:50:46 PDT 2007

I understand that the hero in the new movie "The Lookout" is lacking
short-term memory due to an accident.

It is interesting to me that both Memento and the "Soldier" novels
have an underlying sub-theme of the skeptical value of written memory:

In Memento, Leonard has tattoos and documentation as "evidence", but
he cannot know if the evidence has been tampered with nor can he
recheck his methodology by which he came by the evidence.

In Soldier, Latro has documentation that describes all sorts or
weirdness going on, but he can't know if he was crazy when he wrote
it. In fact, he cannot know if he actually wrote it, since he is only
going by the testimony of what people tell him (whom he often does not
know from Adam).