(urth) The Soundtrack

Batrinque at aol.com Batrinque at aol.com
Tue Apr 10 03:20:50 PDT 2007

In a message dated 4/9/2007 8:33:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
recursive_loop at yahoo.com writes:

Thinking  on it, I probably listen to music less with Wolfe than some other
authors.
I seldom listen to music when reading.  I know I have occasionally  listened
to some period music -- Bach, Corelli, and so forth -- while reading  O'Brian,
but perhaps more because my tastes run in that direction than to  provide a
relevant "soundtrack".  And I think music might be a distraction  when reading
Wolfe, who demands more of my attention than any other author of my
acquaintance.  The only recordings that I can think of that might tempt me  as Wolfian
background music are the solo piano improvisations of Keith Jarrett,  being
appropriately both solitary and intricate.

And the one soundtrack that I totally have cut out is  television. I cannot
read and have a
television in the room. If my wife or  daughter watches something, I leave
the room. It irks my
wife, somewhat,  but I tell her I need less intrusive noise when I am
reading!

I find that I can/do seldom watch TV without a book at hand (although,
usually something less demanding than Wolfe), the book providing relief from the
television rather than the TV disrupting my reading.

Bruce  Trinque
Amston, CT