(urth) The Soundtrack

James B. Jordan jbjordan4 at cox.net
Mon Apr 9 18:36:35 PDT 2007

At 08:28 PM 4/9/2007, you wrote:

>So very, very, interesting.
>
>I've always looked back upon various moments of my life and had the
>soundtrack to match.  All my favourite books have been accompanied
>by a soundtrack, of sorts.
>
>But I'm a latecomer to GW.  (At the venerable age of 37.)
>
>And, I'll be honest ... I've never encountered an author who didn't
>*immediately* give themself to some form of musical accompinment .... until GW.

BTW, if you want to get into Pettersson's heavy, dark, brooding,
music, start with Symphony 8 and then go to #9. It's dire music, of
the classical sort of course, but very Severianesque. For something
more joyous then turn to his 2nd Violin Concerto, which gives you 30
minutes of  horror followed by 15 minutes of light (Jesus!) conquering horror.

>I've thought of a few relevant tracks (as aforementioned).  But none
>with any conviction.  And there are lots of other authors (Vance,

Yes, well, with the glorious Vance you need something classical:
Mozart or Haydn. Not the brooding romanticism Wolfe requires.

Of course, I show my age and prejudice in these "classical" recommendations!!

The Nutricious Nutria

James B. Jordan
Director, Biblical Horizons
Box 1096