(urth) The Soundtrack

Recursive Loop recursive_loop at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 9 17:44:39 PDT 2007

Greetings:

For me, it sometimes takes a long time to find music that fits a particular author, or a
particular action. Sometimes it happens by accident and is so perfect it is scary.

In particular I think of Steve Roach's album "The Magnificent Void". I put a bunch of his stuff on
mini-discs (remember those?) and brought them observing with my telescope once.

What an experience. I thought I was falling into the telescope and merging with the globular
clusters that I was observing. I've rarely experienced such intensity when listening to music.

Some music (e.g., King Crimson, Dire Straits) have become "road music" for me. My parent's live
about four hours away, and with my father's rapidly declining health I'm on the road to visit a
lot. I either listen to a Patrick O'Brian book on CD or play "Brothers in Arms" (Dire Straits),
various King Crimson albums, Yes, etc.

(Folks like Roach and Rich and a few others are dangerous on the road. They can lead to
self-hypnosis, especially in wild weather, heavy snow and the like!)

Fred Kiesche