(urth) Van Vogt. (Was: Re: I Claudius)

Andy Robertson andywrobertson at clara.co.uk
Thu Sep 7 15:18:27 PDT 2006

Jesper Svedberg writes:

> I do think though that theme of godhood that was there on _Ptath_ (and
> that you say is common to most work of Van Vogt's) is something that
> Wolfe grapples with in BotNS. Severian isn't really a godlike figure,
> but his story does echo that of _the Book of Ptath_ and many similar
> stories of mythological origin.
>
> I'm not saying it's an obvious source for inspiration, but I think it
> does deserve a closer look before it's discarded.
>

>    // Jesper

It certainly is worth looking at.   ((My pronouncements have been
unjustifiably gnomic and absolute.  You must excuse me - I'm terribly
busy.))  But I think the difference lies in the fact that the "godhood" in
TBOTNS is rooted in Judaeo-Christian ideas of submission to an omnipotent
Increate and His judgement.  This idea of God is not an Indo-European
concept at all and is really quite different from the godhood in PTATH or
elsewhere in VV.

My 2p, in haste.  I'd be interested to know if Wolfe has spoken about any
debt to VV.

hartshorn

http://www.thenightland.co.uk

01273-488272 / 0777-214-9545