(urth) Close Reading: Torturer Chapter I

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 6 05:48:33 PDT 2006

Plaudits to JWillard for starting this thread. It appears that attacking
BotNS chapter by chapter may expose a lot of things previously hidden in the
cracks.  For example,

Roy says: (snip)
>there is a mistake in NEW SUN involving this exchange. Vodalus definitely
>gave the pistol to >Hildegrin. But later, Sev recalls the scene and has
>Vodalus giving it to Thea. The mistake is >repeated in the appendix to
>CITADEL, so the mistake is probably Wolfe's.  There is another >mistake on
>the second page, pointed out years ago by someone else (can't remember
>who), >concerning whether it was Roche or Drotte who said the approaching
>volunteers were carrying >pikes. That mistake may or may not be Sev's.

I didn't mention these two mistakes as I thought it was accepted Urth dogma
that they were Sev's mistakes not Wolfe's, and that they are purposeful in
establishing, within the first pages, Severian as an unreliable narrator.
Since Wolfe is "translating" Severian's words I can't see a repeat of a
mistake in an appendix as proof positive of auctorial error.  If anything it
seems like the appendix mistake would be Wolfe's way of calling extra
attention to a Sev error.

I think it is recognition of this unreliabiity which allows us to spot other
mistakes, like the east/west switch that allows us to firmly establish this
is the South American continent. Allows us to spot other Sev mistakes such
as confusing wife/husband with sister/brother, old man with old woman, not
noticing the identicality of weapons, characters etc.; mistakes which really
impact the story.  But I guess it isn't dogma afterall.

Roy posted:
>Sev admired Vodalus for his bravado, for disdaining the pistol, and for
>standing alone against three >armed men. "Yet something touched me. Perhaps
>it was Vodalus's willingness to die to protect >her that made the woman
>seem precious to me; certainly it was that willingness that kindled my
> >admiration for him." But when Sev was put to the test, he wasn't willing
>to die to
>protect *his* beloved, Thea's sister, Thecla. He even helped torture her.

This admiration of the hereditary elite, despite their obvious flaws, is a
continuing theme.  Elsewhere Wolfe notes that the exultants are braver than
common folk and much more prone to extreme violence when needed.  In Urth,
Thecla is praised for being willing to defend, with her life, someone
dependent on her.  Well, we know Wolfe is no Marxist, ;-).

Roy says:
>Apparently, Drotte had done to Sev what Sev would later do to Eata when Sev
>became captain.

Yes, seems like standard procedure; perhaps Drotte would have done it first
to Roche, to establish him as his "second".  And the morning after Severian
is elevated to journeyman, we see the new captain of apprentices:

>(the boy Eata, not quite so small now, with a puffed lip and the gleam of
>triumph in his eye).

-bsharp