(urth) Close Reading: Torturer Chapter I

nastler nastler at yahoo.dk
Wed Sep 6 00:22:53 PDT 2006

--- JWillard <aldenweer at charter.net> skrev:

> "and what power of Erebus's gives you the right to
> come here and do
> something like this?"  Something interesting I found
> in the W2 awhile
> ago:  According to some sources, Charon is the son
> of Erebus.  Is Erebus
> somehow Severian's great-grandfather?  Is this line
> a joke: Severian
> being the "power of Erebus"?

This line is spoken by the leader of the volunteers to
Vodalus. Voldalus' connection to the hidden powers is
made clear(er) later in the book(s).

Oh, and chapter one gives us our first glimpse of
"green moonlight". Something I missed totally but
presumably caused more careful first-time readers to
go, "eh?".

nastler