(urth) The Katharine maid

Nathan Spears spearofsolomon at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 14:17:19 PDT 2006

http://www.allwords.com/word-born.html

If the "borne by" means "to bear a burden" then the sentence seems clunky.  It takes a right turn and makes Catherine the focus rather than Severian.  I think he's referring to Catherine as the mother.

"Perhaps I was too distant from myself, from the Severian of bone and flesh who was a burden to Catherine in a cell of the . . ."

"Perhaps I was too distant from myself, from the Severian of bone and
flesh who carried by Catherine in a cell of the . . ." makes even less sense.