(urth) The Katharine maid

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Thu Oct 26 12:59:35 PDT 2006

>Rex Lycanthrosaurus quoted:
>>"Perhaps I was too distant from myself, from the Severian of bone and
>>flesh borne by Catherine in a cell of the oubliette under the Matachin
>>Tower."
>>
>>This also seems to contradict Roy Lackey's supposition that Severian was
>>borne outside the Matachin.
>
>Ah, yes, so it does.

Damn. I may have done Wolfe and myself an injustice by conceding too
quickly. <g>

Wasn't there a similar discussion not too long ago about "forebears" or some
such? "Borne" is the past participle of "bear" ("to carry; transport"). When
followed by the word "by", it doesn't refer to having given birth.

-Roy