(urth) Wolfe: Misogynist? and accessibility

Nathan Spears spearofsolomon at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 11:23:51 PDT 2006

> If an author complusively wrote novels about Jews being tortured and
> killed, I'd at least suspect him of anti-semitism.

You have good reason to suspect Elie Wiesel of anti-Semitism, I suppose.

I agree with the poster who said that Wolfe is a misanthrope.  Many of his characters suffer terribly.  The abuse that men inflict upon other men takes different forms from the abuse that they inflict upon women, and Wolfe is aware of this fact.  Perhaps your reaction to the former is less pronounced because you are yourself a man.  Also, perhaps Wolfe finds himself writing more about the ways in which men abuse women than about strong, realistic female characters, because he is a man, not because he hates women.  Any realistic man knows that he does not understand what it is like to be a woman - portraits he paints of her are from the outside looking in.

Anyway, most of this discussion has been centered around a kind of *cough*misogynist*cough* accusation rather than any sort of organized statement, and it's getting tiresome.