(urth) Wolfe: Misogynist? and accessibility and where to begin

Hmpf MacSlow hmpf1998 at gmx.net
Thu Oct 19 06:34:36 PDT 2006

>One more thing: this may be a strawman, but perhaps it has been said by
>someone, somewhere that Wolfe is incapable of writing a sympathetic female
>character. How about Io? She seems to be totally respectable and good. She's
>honest, wise, loyal, kind and brave. She does unsuccessfully try to seduce
>Latro, at one point, but only after travelling with him for the better part
>of a year and falling in love with him. One does not get the impression that
>she is unreasonable or wanton.

To weigh in as a female Wolfe fan for a moment, I seem to remember
rather liking the female soldier in, is it the third or the fourth
part of TBotNS? I forgot her name and don't have time to look it up
now. Also, wasn't there a sympathetic female sailor in TUotNS?

Clearly, I have to read the books again...

Hmpf

---
"You broke metaphysics. Fix it."
- Triangle & Robert