(urth) Wolfe: Misogynist or Realist?

timothy fletcher ss4vegita_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 22 14:44:43 PDT 2006

I think someone else mentioned Delany as a misogynist; I was just throwing that comment out, and after I wrote it I wondered if it might sound slightly prejudice. It's just something I've heard a lot, not something I believe. I've only read Delany a little, and never a complete novel (I liked what I read, just never finished anything), so when I said I don't know about him, I really don't. I did know he is a homosexual, only because I read a little biography of him in one book (Stars in my Pocket like Grains of Sand, I believe, but could be wrong). Personally, I'm sure he thinks women are great.

Hmpf MacSlow <hmpf1998 at gmx.net> wrote: At 04:09 AM 10/21/2006, you wrote:
>I can agree with Wolfe being loved by both atheists and devout
>Christians, having been both and loved Wolfe as both.
>
>That is something I think really makes it difficult to say Wolfe is
>in some way against women (I'm trying to think of a way to state
>that and encompass everything that's been discussed, but everthing
>seems inadequate), that there are so many other authors that are
>worse. Not that other authors should be used to judge Wolfe, but
>I've not really heard many people call these other authors
>misogynists (Delany, I don't know about; I've heard people say that
>all homosexuals are ultimately misogynists, but I don't really buy
>that, per se)

Isn't Delany bisexual, anyway? For a homosexual he certainly writes a
lot about sex with women! (And about mixed threesomes.) I didn't get
misogynist vibes from Dhalgren. But then, it's been a while - maybe
I've forgotten. And quite possibly my tolerance to misogyny is pretty
high, due to having read predominantly very 'male' types of
literature for most of my life. Maybe I just sort of ignore misogyny,
especially in older works where I assume it was just part of the
general culture/the 'common subsconscious' that few people could
escape. I dunno... Oddly enough, I identify as a feminist at the same time