(urth) urth Digest, Vol 26, Issue 23

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 10:29:19 PDT 2006

On 10/20/06, Joe Smulkstis <jismulkstis at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> Adam Thornton is exactly right when he points out "Chivalry *is* biology".
> This ethic may have made sense when we needed to increase the
> number of villagers or be eaten by wolves, but with 6.5 billion people
> in the world and a human-induced mass extinction being the current
> situation, maximizing our numbers is no longer a desirable outcome.

Nonetheless, to the extent that "women and children first" is an
evolved behavioral tendency ... and I have some anecdotal evidence
(from, among other things, the '89 Loma Prieta 'quake) that suggests
to me that it really is ... the fact that we're overpopulated isn't going
to change that. Each successful gene in the genome has been
selected over billions of years to maximize its own replication.

Fortunately, as brilliant biologist and idiot philosopher Richard
Dawkins has pointed out, we are emphatically not the slaves of
our genes. We prove that every time we use any form of birth
control (including voluntary abstinence).

> "The more I know people, the more I like animals".

It was "The more I know of men, the more I like my cat."
Voltaire.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----