(urth) Wolfe: Misogynist Or Realist?

Fred Kiesche godel2escher2bach at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 18 05:14:09 PDT 2006

Greetings:

On several recent threads.

Stories aren't always happy. Stories don't always tell
us what we already know or feel comfortable with. So,
Wolfe is just practicing his craft.

Author's don't always equal their stories.

And...to quote from The Master, Himself:

"Read. No matter what you may long to believe, you
cannot become a writer without tens of thousands of
hours of reading. You cannot please the master until
you have been a master and know what is pleasing."

So, hmmmm, maybe he has detected a msogynist streak in
literature, and, therefore, by extension, in society
overall?

As for Mr. Twain, he lived in a different era. He may
have reflected some of the attributes of that era.
However, I cannot think of somebody who wrote such a
wonderful book as "Huckleberry Finn" with such a
wonderfully sympathetic character as Jim, as a true
racist.

(Oddly enough, one champion of the anti-slavery
movement lived on his property in CT.)

          Fred Kiesche (FPK3)

  My books are water; those of great geniuses are wine. Everybody drinks water. (Mark Twain, "Notebook")
Over 7,000 postings served! See The Eternal Golden Braid (http://theeternalgoldenbraid.blogspot.com/ ).