(urth) Wolfe: Misogynist or Realist?

David DiGiacomo david at slack.com
Tue Oct 17 15:59:01 PDT 2006

>It's just that Wolfe seems to be really fond of including misogynist
>characters and situations in his stories.

What I would say is that his woman characters are often foolish or evil,
creating situations where misogyny is apparently justified.

Compare Wolfe to Iain M. Banks, who also has a penchant for including
"misogynist characters and situations" (not to mention torture) in his
writing, but to completely different effect.

Maybe it's not fair to bring this up, but when I read "Letters Home" I was
struck by Wolfe's lack of empathy for the Korean prostitutes he encounters.
He was very young at the time, but it's hard not to draw a connection to
his later fiction.