(urth) Latro

Dan Rabin wolfe-lists at danrabin.com
Tue Nov 14 14:30:15 PST 2006

At 1:50 AM -0600 11/14/06, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>Dan Rabin wrote:
>
>>  This fits the general pattern of inversions between the two series,
>>  but also solves a technical problem: the construction of Latro's
>>  situation makes foreshadowing within the body of the novels
>>  immpossible, so the "translator" can plant a bit in the forewords.
>
>since the actual author isn't amnesiac, I don't see how this is a problem.

I meant that Latro, not Wolfe, can't foreshadow the way Severian can.
It is true, as I guess you're suggesting, that nothing prevents Wolfe
from injecting foreshadowing into the utterances and actions of
others as reported by Latro.  Indeed, Wolfe has gods, oracles, and
seers do precisely this.

   -- Dan Rabin