(urth) Latro

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Tue Nov 14 01:04:00 PST 2006

Sidon should arrive here in a couple of days, and I've been re-
reading Mist & Arete in preparation.

Mainly I'm hoping for a good story well told, but I'm also hoping
that there'll be some answers to a few questions the first two
books left hanging for me.

1. The Unseen God

>From the word's of Apollo and the mediocre verse of his priestess,
right at the beginning in Thebes.

"I send you to the God Unseen!
Whose temple lies in Death's terrene!
Then you shall learn why He's not seen."

and : "Long after, you will find what you seek in the dead city."

I assume that "the God Unseen" is the really truly God or at least
something further up the chain of comamnd than the gods encountered
so far.

Google says that "terrene" means "belonging to this world, not
heavenly" so I guess "Death's terrene" = "the dead city", a real
place, maybe in Egypt? (I hope we're not going to get some kind of
identification of Akhenaten's Aten with the God of Moses, but I'm
nervous ...)

We get a bit more on the Unseen God. Outside Sestos, the Maiden
tells Latro that the gods still meddle in the affairs of men: "Not
often now, but the Unseen God wanes, and we are no longer lost in
his light. We will never be wholly gone." Be good to get some kind
of explanation for that.

Which brings me on to ...

2. Why does Latro end up as a favorite (apparently) of the Earth
Mother after starting out (apparently) cursed by her?

The scene with her as Cybele in Thrace is interesting. It appeared
to Latro "that a second sun rose behind her ... a splendid light
enfolding her in a mantle brighter than the purest gold." He harps
on this, so maybe it's more than just a god-ish aura; maybe the
sign of the God Unseen in whose light Cybele is illuminated but not
lost - referring back to the Maiden's comments.

Presumably all are working to further the designs of the Unseen
God, whether or not they know it. In the story so far, Latro has
been a pawn in what seems like a rather petty squabble between
goddesses, but maybe in Sidon there will be more hints of a Larger
Design.

3. What did Aphrodite hypnotize Latro to say or do or believe in
Kalleos' garden?

4. Who actually won at the end of Arete - Diana, the Mother, both?