(urth) golden Severa etc.

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Mon May 15 12:39:02 PDT 2006

Well, let me open another can of worms regarding physical attributes.
Robert Borski notes (and has published) that Severian's family may be
identified by their golden attributes denoting the New Sun, (and also
Severian-Savior stigmata, i.e  cheek injuries and limping). If so, should
not red haired characters be associated with the old, dying sun in some way?

Dorcas is perhaps the most golden, with gold hair and gold flecks in her
skin (+ cheek injury) and is, ostensibly, Sev's grandmother. Contrast this
to Eata with similar features who is described  as tow-headed and freckled
sans gold.

Agia and Agilus have pale gold skin and aureate faces and hair when the sun
hits them and are suggested to be Sev's cousins. (Agia limps for a time but
I think it is feigned).  Contrast this to Pia who is described as having
skin the color of a brass serving tray. Like gold color but not really.

Borski addresses the issue of the missing sister, Severa.  He discards the
often promoted candidate Merryn, and other lesser candidates such as
Morwenna, the Mandragora and Thais.  These are seen as red herring Severas
derived from false clues.  His candidates are Jolenta, with her red-gold
hair (and clumsy walk) and the kaibit/prostitute Barbea who has hair like
spun gold (though she dances nicely) with the suggestion these two are, in
fact the same person.

But I think the text suggests these two are also false gold.  Barbea's hair
is twice referred to as a possible wig (the next young woman's hair/wig is
white). And Jolenta's hair has been dyed (red?) and had silk threads added
(gold?).  It is hard to think that her original "straggling" hair was either
of those striking colors.  Moreover, I expect Severa to be somewhat
intelligent and philosophical and  as both Severian and Dorcas (and even
Agia/Agilus to a degree) are.  Jolenta calls the Pellerines "Pelisses" and
her deepest thoughts seem to be on how to procure pampering and
contemplation of the autarch's urine as the wine of his subjects.

Now by rights, if I am to undercut someone's candidate I should propose my
own.  Unfortunately I am still working on that as piece of a larger puzzle,
but I will present it when ready.

In its stead I'll hint that Borski has missed a character who is decribed in
unequivocally golden terms.  He has several pieces of gold jewelry and
golden hair (and blue eyes).  Follow-up in my next post.

-bsharp