(urth) shapeshifting Hethor

mournings glory mourningsglory at hotmail.com
Sun May 28 10:05:19 PDT 2006

>From: "b sharp" <bsharporflat at hotmail.com>

>There is a BotNS problem posed by Severian:  How could Hethor get a slug
>the
>size of a horse to follow Severian through pampas, towns, mountains and
>jungles?

>Armed with these tools I think we could suggest that the slug is Hethor, or
>more accurately, Hethor is really a slug.

Except that the slug almost certainly perishes in the burning hut of the
village of the sorcerors during the duel of magic, whereas Hethor is still
alive when reencountered in _Citadel_.  I suppose you could argue the slug
escapes by either natural or artificial means (specular teleportation?), but
it certainly never appears again -- ditto for the salamander, which has
plunged to its death back to Thrax.

More likely both disappearances result because neither beast is Hethor, just
as Father Inire is neither grieving boatman nor curator of paintings, but an
alien with absolutely no reason to impersonate either Rudesind or 'Cas's
husband.

em