(urth) Hierodules and time

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Fri May 26 14:28:58 PDT 2006

Forgive me for bringing up something that is old hat, but it's new to me and
I don't see it in the archives. I am reading "The Once and Future King",
within the first couple of chapters I find this:

[Merlyn has placed a paper in front of a mirror and asked Wart to connect
the dots to make a "W", using only the mirror to see.]

"Ah yes. How did I know to set breakfast for two? That was why I showed you
the looking glass. Now ordinary people are born forwards in time, if you
know what I mean, and nearly everything in the world goes forward too. This
makes it quite easy for ordinary people to live, just as it would be easy to
join those five dots into a W if you were allowed to look at them forwards,
instead of backwards and inside out. But I unfortunately was born at the
wrong end of time, and I have to live backwards from in front, while
surrounded by a lot of people living forwards from behind. Some people call
it having second sight."

He stopped talking and looked at the Wart in an anxious way.

"Have I told you this before?"

"No, we only met about half an hour ago."

"So little time to pass?" said Merlyn, and a big wet tear ran down to the
end of his nose. He wiped it off with his pyjamas and added anxiously, "Am I
going to tell it you again?"

"I do not know," said the Wart, "unless you have not finished telling me
yet."

"You see, one gets confused with Time, when it is like that. All one's
tenses get muddled, for one thing. If you know what is going to happen to
people, and not what *has* happened to them, it makes it difficult to
prevent it happening, if you don't want it to have happened, if you see what
I mean? Like drawing in a mirror."