(urth) Hierodules and time

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Fri May 26 06:43:40 PDT 2006

Thalassocrat, sorry I should have been more clear!  If the knowledge of the
play at Baldanders' castle is not a Wolfe mistake then seems to be using
Ossipago in that capacity ("he has a memory like yours").  Q. How do they
know?   A. Ossipago told them.

Hence the deus ex machina reference (and thanks for finding it!).  Gosh, who
could be more of a God and a Machine than hierodule/robot Ossipago? He fits
the phrase (defined below) almost perfectly and I suspect Wolfe had this in
mind as he wrote.

On deus ex machina, Wikipedia says:

>Deus ex machina is a Latin phrase that refers to an unexpected, artificial,
>or improbable character, >device, or event introduced suddenly in a work of
>fiction or drama to resolve a situation or >untangle a plot. The phrase has
>been extended to refer to any resolution to a story which does >not pay due
>regard to the story's internal logic and is so unlikely it challenges
>suspension of >disbelief; allowing the author to conclude the story with an
>unlikely, but more palatable ending. In >modern terms the Deus ex machina
>has also come to describe a person or thing that suddenly >arrives and
>solves a seemingly insoluble difficulty. While in storytelling this might
>seem unfulfilling, in >real life this type of figure might be welcome and
>heroic.

-bsharp