(urth) monsters and names

James Wynn thewynns at earthlink.net
Fri May 26 14:08:54 PDT 2006

>>Says I:
>>it is verifiably not *humans* that are named after saints.
>>It is citizens of the Commonwealth who are.

mornings glory responds:
>Ah, yes. I stand corrected. Only human citizens of the Commonwealth are
>named after saints.

Heh heh heh...That leaves a lot of room for different naming conventions.
But I agree that it strongly *does* imply that Typhon & Co were not born
in the Commonwealth.

I queried:
>>Isn't there something *Wolfe himself* wrote or said either in one of
>>the BotNS appendices, Castle of the Otter, or in an interview in which
>>he discusses that one obvious way to extend human life indefinitely is
>>to extend growth?

b sharp replied:
>Ossipago (bonegrower) says it toward the end of Sword and that topic was
>discussed in more  depth in some of the (mine included) Baldanders posts of
>this month.

I was pretty sure there was something "extra-narrative" about it.

I asked:

b sharp said:
>...the original Jonas (and his brothers), Sidero etc. to be
>examples?

Well, being made by humans, they are "decended" from humans.
I presume the Hierogrammates to be "decended" from humans in
just such a way. If there had been no humans, the Hierogrammates
would never have existed. The same with any beings made by the
Hierogrammates such as subsequent Severians.