(urth) Abaia & co.

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Fri May 19 05:27:11 PDT 2006

So we are on undine mating habits, hm..I think Robert Borski is of the
opinion that Baldanders mated with one of them, which gave him the ability
to breath underwater.  Severian acquired that ability also, so did he also
mate?

Elephant seal males (up to 10,000 lbs) mate with females (closer to 1000
lbs) so maybe Baldanders and Juturna (yes, Diuturna) were able to do it.
Severian, well.....creates a very awkward visual, to say the least.

Severian does dream of undines when he first meets and sleeps with
Baldanders. There is the suggestion that dream was originally intended for
Baldanders but found a more enticing target.  In Eschatology and Genesis we
find that Meschianne, Jahi and the Contessa are all competing to mate with
Meschia (Severian) as the end of the world approaches.  Perhaps Juturna
wants to get in on the action? What exactly DID she want from him at the
river Cephissus? "only your love, only your love...."

Regarding mating with Abaia, I think also in that dream, the undines
proclaim that they are daughter-brides waiting until they have grown big
enough to mate with him.

-bsharp