(urth) Baldanders

Macronaut macronaut at yahoo.com
Thu May 18 10:24:44 PDT 2006

I agree -- and it's not just that they behave
monstrously, but that this monstrous behavior is
reflected in (and motivates) physical alteration into
something monstrous we no longer feel comfortable
describing as human.  I think this is part of Wolfe's
commentary, found throughout the books, on the
morality of so-called "transhumanism."  Depending on
the morality that motivated the alteration, the
alteration is beautiful (ie. the green man) or
perverse (Typhon, Baldanders).  There may be a third
category, morality that is simply alien -- Im thinking
of the undines -- reflected in characters who are
sometimes beautiful, sometimes terrifying or ugly,
sometimes both simultaneously.

Macronaut