(urth) Wiki draft proposal

maru dubshinki marudubshinki at gmail.com
Mon May 15 00:26:20 PDT 2006

On 5/10/06, Jesper Svedberg <jsvedberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hm, you seem to have recieved my original mail, but I didn't get a copy.
> Strange. Anyway, I apologize for the double posting.

Perhaps you sent it straight to me?

maru dubshinki skrev:
> > On 5/9/06, Jesper Svedberg <jsvedberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> - I don't think it's necessary to put these articles in different
> >>categories based on which work they appear in, it should be enough to
> >>create structure by linking the articles in a careful fashion (you could
> >>have an article called "Characters in TBotNS" filled with links the
> >>separate articles) and by clearly stating in the articles where the
> >>persons/objects appear.
> >
> > Well, why not? Links are great, but there are some things categories
> > are just better at. See alsos can grow awfully long, you know.
>
> OK, after looking around Wikipedia I see that they have a pretty nice
> system for categories. Putting a [[Category:The Soldier Series]] in the
> the article on Hypereides is good way of doing it, but when you
> initially mentioned categories I thought you wanted to separate the
> articles in different directories (such as
> http://www.wolfewiki.org/wiki/soldier/Hypereides), and that I think
> would be a bad idea.

Oh, no, no. That's a rather restrictive hierarchy- categories on Wikipedia
and as I was thinking of them resemble more directed graphs (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directed_graph) than strict single inheritance
hierarchies.

> Yes, we could use external links, but those have the problem of being
> > both more unreliable *and* harder to use than wikilinks. There are
> > more subtle reasons to prefer internal links to external links, but
> > they're hard to talk about.
>
> Well, the Wikipedia seems to manage. When it comes to the mailing list
> archives, you could copy it to the wiki (or preferably to a parallell
> wiki (I think the mailing list should be clearly separated from the
> general wiki in a way that allows for no confusion as to what belongs
> where), but it seems a lot of work for very little gain. To link to a
> mail you still have to search for it and either copy the wiki name for
> it (I suppose one would have to give the mailing list postings
> individual ID numbers) or the URL and then paste it in one's article.
> Maybe it is much easier to search in another wiki to find the posting
> and the copy the ID number, but it doesn't seem like that great a
> difference to me.

You could well be right. I've never seen a similar scheme proposed or
carried out, so empirical data is a wee bit lacking. No way but to try?

>> - One thing that must be discussed is the problem of the sender. In
> >>Wikipedia, the articles are presented as facts and the sender is
> >>considered secondary, but if someone writes an article theorizing about
> >>a subject in the WolfeWiki, then it might be wise to clearly mark out
> >>who the writer/sender is.
> >
> > I disagree. We can source it to emails, which should be enough, and
> > besides, theories should stand or fall on their own merit.
>
> If all theorizing intially takes place here on the list then this isn't
> a problem, but what if people start writing directly for the wiki? I'm
> just saying that at least I would be interested in knowing who's behind
> the theories.

Well, that's an interesting problem. All wikis should be blessed by such
problems. But most discussion would ideally take place on the Talk pages, so
I guess one would then start citing talk pages? (Which would be a bad thing
on Wikipedia, where one is supposed to eschew self-references, but I don't
that is such a good guidelines for us.)

>> - I agree that it would probably be a good idea to give it a short and
> >>clear name. OTOH, i also think that it would be pretty cool to call it
> >>"Tracking Song", even it if could be somewhat confusing.
> >

> > Hmm. Don't get it. Where's that from?
>
> It's the name of a novella in _The Island of Doctor Death and Other
> Stories and Other Stories_.

D'oh. I should've gotten that.

// Jesper

~maru