(urth) Wiki draft proposal

JWillard aldenweer at charter.net
Sun May 14 01:55:37 PDT 2006

maru dubshinki wrote:

>I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think any wiki we
>start on Wolfe's work should be categorized tripartitely:
>
>One section should be for Urth ML emails. This would make it much
>easier to reference assertions and theories, especially since it seems
>that a number of messages are primary sources, not merely secondary
>sources. And of course, if they are hosted on the wiki itself, one
>could run a bot or some sort of bot to auto-link phrases to their
>pages. (Now that I think of it, one could compile a list of words,
>phrases, and subjects from the mass of texts).  I'm not too sure about
>the copyright status, however: I'm pretty sure the list owner can
>allow them to be posted on a wiki (since he already has the right to
>so post them in a publicly accessible archive), but I don't know how
>that factors into reditributions and licensing. So having a separate
>section would allow us to segregate non-Free content from the Free
>content.
>
>The second section would be articles. Straightforward factual articles
>on Wolfe, relevant authors, his books and short stories, etc.  Think
>like what Wikipedia currently has.  I guess we could import Wikipedia
>policies wholesale for this section: verifiable, NPOV, no personal
>attacks, etc.  This section we could grab straight from Wikipedia.
>About all we'd have to do is add a GFDL notice (assuming we decide to
>go with a non-GFDL license, or cross-license) and perhaps swap out
>internal Wikipedia links for interwiki links.  Of course, these
>articles would link (perhaps in the relevant sections) to the third
>section... which is the section of interest to us all:
>
>The third section would be distilled discussions and theories.  The
>idea is to condense all the verbiage and back and forth into a single
>page of pros and cons (ie. the evidence that, say, Thecla is the
>hermaphrodite lover of the Autarch would be presented on its own page,
>perhaps titled "Theclas as hermaphrodite"; the evidence for it would
>be presented, linking to the relevant emails, with textual citations
>and such, and then the opposed side. Talk pages can be used to hammer
>out the list, or it can be done on-list.)
>
>Categories could be very useful for sections two and three.  An
>off-the-cuff example: A top-level category could be Authors, with Gene
>Wolfe in it, and then Books and Short Stories in the Wolfe cat, books
>being divided into Short Sun, New Sun, Peace, Soldier etc. categories.
>Then one has the articles on the individual novels. If a character
>appears in all the books, and so doesn't fit into a single book's
>category, they would go in the New Sun category, but minor characters
>could go into only one book's category (ie. Triskele would go into the
>New Sun cat, but the serving boy at the restaurant in SotT would be in
>the Shadow of the Torturer cat (if that's the right book)).
>
>Now, no doubt someone will suggest that the wiki host the various
> [...]
How about theoubliette-wiki?  (OED says: "A secret dungeon, access to
which was gained only through a trapdoor above...") It seems we've all
fallen into this particular oubliette.  And Wolfe mentions its
etymological significance as "a place of forgetting" - which seems
appropriately ironic for a venture trying  to do the opposite.  And who
else would get it?

Maru, you've asked about what kind of licensing we want.  If you think
public domain is all right (I agree, I don't think lots of people will
be interested in what we're doing) then, fine.  It sounds like Wikia
wants a large audience to establish a wiki, and I don't know that we can
provide that.

I was wondering if we could do something like the portals at wikipedia:
instead of Ancient Greece Portal, we could have an Urth Portal, Whorl
Portal, Latro Portal, etc.  It seems to me that, optimally, any one of
these areas is begging for a tremendous amount of information, because I
think, ultimately, we're talking about having a page for every Wolfe
character, every Wolfe creature, flower, building, etc., every key
concept (White Fountain, fuligin, etc.), and every theory (Severian's
lineage; Thecla as Secret Protagonist; Severian Clones, etc.) - and
that's just Urth.  I'm sure people will want  the same for The Wizard
Knight, Peace, Fifth Head of Cerberus, etc.  (I do.)  If  I'm just
reiterating something you've already proposed, I apologize.  But it
seems to me we're talking about a potentially massive amount of stuff
and will need to be laid out to accomodate that.  It seems to me the
main page of the entire wiki should focus on Wolfe:  links to categories
like biography, influences (I'd like to see more on connections between
his work and Nabokov's, for example), bibliography, etc. and to the
portals for the different books/series?  I don't know:  I'm tired and
I'm probably just babbling a bunch of obvious things.

Jason