(urth) Eyes of Thecla

mournings glory mourningsglory at hotmail.com
Fri May 5 18:17:45 PDT 2006

>From: "b sharp" <bsharporflat at hotmail.com>

>In Solar Labyrinth(and perhaps briefly in the Archives) Robert Borsky makes
>an elaborate argument that Appian is Thecla's father.  Most of the evidence
>he uses stems from clues that Appian was involved in her upbringing. There
>seems very little to suggest he has a genetic connection to her.

I came across what is either an interesting clue in this regard, a typo, or
sloppy copy-editing, depending on your druthers.

In Chapter VI of _Shadow_ Severian is reading a note from Master Gurloes:

"'By the will of a court we have in our keeping the exulted person of the
Chatelaine Thecla; and by its further will we would furnish to the
Chatelaine Thecla in her confinement such comforts as lie not beyond reason
and prudence. That she may while away the moments until her time with us is
come - or rather, as she has instructed me to say, until the heart of the
Autarch, whose forebearance knows not walls nor seas, is softened toward
her, as she prays she asks that you, consonant with your office, provide her
with certain books...'"

Now what is the oddest word in all of the above paragraph? It's
"forebearance" with an -e, which relates to *ancestral* forebearers, not to
"the action or habit of forbearing." In the other four books of the Urth
cycle, Wolfe also always uses the e- version of 'forebears' to mean
ancestors and the non-e version 'forbear' to mean, "to bear with, have
patience with, put up with, tolerate."

So is this indeed a secret clue as to Thecla's paternity? Or simply a
typo/copyediting mistake? (Speaking of which, has the Garsec/Garvaon mistake
been corrected in the trade paperback edition of _Wizard Knight_? Sad to
say, but the very nice SFBC edition of _Book of the Short Sun_, despite
being printed on much higher quality paper, perpetuates all the typos of the
original edition, which is surely the most error-ridden of any Wolfe book,
primary or secondary.)

Also, if not a typo, however would such wordplay survive translation into
another language?

Me sSe eg