(urth) Eyes of Thecla

maru dubshinki marudubshinki at gmail.com
Tue May 2 22:25:21 PDT 2006

On 5/2/06, JWillard <aldenweer at charter.net> wrote:
> Andy Robertson wrote:
> Pg. 5 of Peace has this line: "Violet-eyed and black-haired, my aunt
> Olivia..." This is one of those lines I've been hung up on for a while,
> cursing my lack of eternity to make notes on such things as hair and eye
> color in the Lupiverse.
>
> Which brings me to a more serious question I've been entertaining for a
> while as well. Does someone out there know how to set up a wiki? Is
> there any reason we couldn't have a wiki-Wolfe, to start referencing
> answers to questions like this? (If there's a Battlestar wiki, why not
> a wiki-Wolfe?) Is this a terrible idea? Is it a copyright problem?
> I'm only semi-literate when it comes to computer things, so please,
> someone, make the case for or against.

*cue the lurking Wikipedia administrator*

Certainly you could set up a wiki. Since all of Wolfe's work is
unfreely licensed (so far as I know), editor would need to be a little
careful to keep quotes within fair-use bounds, but that hasn't been a
problem for this ML or for wikis on fictional universes- Wookieepedia
(http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page) and Memory Alpha
(http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/index.php/Main_Page) have been going
swimingly.

I understand that setting up a wiki on Wikia (formerly Wikicities;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikia) is fairly easy and free; if you
don't like the GFDL, other licenses can be chosen. My personal
preference would be simply going with public domain (hasn't hurt
InfoAnarchy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfoAnarchy)), but I imagine
other can differ.

In short, it is perfectly possible, and probably a good idea. Just
mining the archives alone could create a respectable size wiki, and I
know I would greatly prefer a wiki for discussions (it would make
things much easier to have arguments and trivia consolidated, and
linking to them would improve arguments. How often have we seen things
discussed to death rise up again just because no one really remembers
them?)

~maru