(urth) Eyes of Thecla

JWillard aldenweer at charter.net
Tue May 2 13:03:36 PDT 2006

Andy Robertson wrote:

>b sharp writes:
>

>>I don't know of any other characters who are described as having very large
>>violet or purple eyes, so it is difficult to call the similarity a
>>coincidence, especially since both descriptions first appear in Shadow. But
>>what connection can there be between these two?  I have some vague thoughts
>>involving the kaibit process but I'm interested in any ideas others might
>>have.
>>

>"Violet eyes" is just a poetic way of saying dark blue eyes.
>
>Blue eyes are not found among animals, only among humans.
>
>But "blue-eyed" also has poetic connotations of outdoorsy, healthy,
>sunburned, blonde, natural, happy, which Wolfe does not want to bring up in
>connection with the paramours of the Autarch, who should be surpassingly
>beautiful but sick, like the dying Urth.
>

>This isn't complex, but in this case I **think** it's the whole story.
>

>Wolfe has a wonderful way of implying much in a few words, and if you pick
>those words apart you won't always find a conscious construction under them.

Pg. 5 of Peace has this line:  "Violet-eyed and black-haired, my aunt
Olivia..."  This is one of those lines I've been hung up on for a while,
cursing my lack of eternity to make notes on such things as hair and eye
color in the Lupiverse.

Which brings me to a more serious question I've been entertaining for a
while as well.  Does someone out there know how to set up a wiki?  Is
there any reason we couldn't have a wiki-Wolfe, to start referencing
answers to questions like this?  (If there's a Battlestar wiki, why not
a wiki-Wolfe?)   Is this a terrible idea?  Is it a copyright problem?
I'm only semi-literate when it comes to computer things, so please,
someone, make the case for or against.