(urth) Wolves In The Walls

James Machin jfmachin at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 8 04:44:39 PDT 2006

I've been aware of this new(ish) Neil Gaiman children's book for a little
while, but just looked it up on Amazon:

"Truth be told, Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean's picture book The Wolves in the
Walls is terrifying. Sure, the story is fairytale-like and presented in a
jaunty, casually nonsensical way, but it is absolutely the stuff of
nightmares. Lucy hears wolves hustling, bustling, crinkling and crackling in
the walls of the old house where her family lives, but no one believes her.
Her mother says it's mice, her brother says bats, and her father says what
everyone seems to say: "If the wolves come out of the walls, it's all over."
Lucy remains convinced, as is her beloved pig-puppet, and her worst fears
are confirmed when the wolves actually do come out of the walls."

I don't have the book to hand, but I distinctly remember reference made in
BotNS to rumours of wolves (white, I think) haunting the wall spaces of the
Citadel. I'd be interested to see if Gaiman acknowledges this debt to his
erstwhile collaborator in the story itself.