(urth) Soldier of Arete Answer

Adrian Robert arobert at cogsci.ucsd.edu
Mon Jul 10 05:51:09 PDT 2006

On Jul 10, 2006, at 8:28 AM, Dave Lebling wrote:

> Stilskin asked:
>> I remain baffled by what exactly transpires at the end
>> of Arete to throw Latro into his depression.
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/~vze2tmhh/gwjbj3.html
>
> Jim Jordan's interview with Wolfe (at the above link) answers your
> question.
> Search for "Sparta."

Well regardless of what Wolfe himself says there about the Spartan
ceremony being the main antecedent, in real life there is rarely a
single cause of depression, and the text certainly doesn't require
Latro to be different.  There are a number of events that despite his
weakened memory cannot have failed to have a cumulative effect.  The
loss of Phareta, parting from various friends, the futile
purposelessness with which he is tossed about by the winds of fate, ...
  It is a tribute to his strength of spirit (and of the human spirit)
that he carried on as long as he did.