(urth) Ascians' Thematic Purppose (was ATTENDING DAEDALUS)

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 14:09:00 PST 2006

Okay, Chris, you're right (and I should have remembered
the bit from Wounded Galaxies); certainly there's nothing
preventing the Ascians' speech from _also_ being a nod
to _Nineteen Eighty-Four_ (Orwell's actual title: _1984_ is
a collection of letters by Samuel R. Delany, he said with
pedantic irony, fully intending to continue calling Orwell's
book by the shorter title...). I suppose my point here is
that most of these things have a primary point of reference,
and I think Marxist-Maoist dialectical "thought" is Wolfe's
primary point of reference for the Ascians' Correct Thought.
Remember that when the _Book_ was written, Marxism was
still fashionable among American intellectuals...

--Dan'l