(urth) Why so much synchronicity?

Tristan Davenport tristan_davenport at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 20 10:50:02 PDT 2006

>Absolutely. Wolfe uses synchronicity because it's realistic.
>
>As Dan'l says, Wolfe is a Dickens fan and Dickens put a lot of
>coincidence in his novels - but *why* did Dickens do that? Because that
>was how he saw the real world. A crazy place where unlikely things
>happened all the time. I suspect that Wolfe, who ended up married to the
>little girl who once lived next door, has a similar world-view.
>
>In any event, while the modern convention in novel-writing is to shun
>coincidence like the plague, it really is just that: a convention. And
>if there's one thing Wolfe enjoys in his writing, it's flaunting those.

It may be that Wolfe is following a genre convention rather than flaunting a
mainstream one.  One of the pearls of wisdom I obtained from the Clarion
writer's workshop was a rule that coincidence can propel a plot, but not
resolve one.  Having read about a quarter of Wolfe's ouevre, I'd say his
writing is pretty consistent with this rule.  (e.g. Sev can stumble upon
Vodalus in the cemetary, but when he eats the previous autarch's brains,
he's gotta want it.)

Then again, I've only read about a quarter, or less, of Wolfe's work.
There's plenty of room still for him to flaunt that convention as well.

                             Tristan Davenport
                             tristan_davenport at hotmail.com