(urth) Why so much synchronicity?

Tony Ellis tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com
Sun Aug 20 08:16:37 PDT 2006

Junk06 wrote:
> Why? It smells of ham handedness, as someone mentioned recently.
> Anyone have theories as to why so many coincidences fill the series?

And Bob Miller:
>life is also full of these "coincidences", the result of a
>possibly ham-handed Divine Providence. i.e., life and history are full
of
>incidents of such incredibly low probability that
>"no author would dare" use them.

Absolutely. Wolfe uses synchronicity because it's realistic.

As Dan'l says, Wolfe is a Dickens fan and Dickens put a lot of
coincidence in his novels - but *why* did Dickens do that? Because that
was how he saw the real world. A crazy place where unlikely things
happened all the time. I suspect that Wolfe, who ended up married to the
little girl who once lived next door, has a similar world-view.

In any event, while the modern convention in novel-writing is to shun
coincidence like the plague, it really is just that: a convention. And
if there's one thing Wolfe enjoys in his writing, it's flaunting those.