(urth) Why so much synchronicity?

don doggett kingwukong at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 19 22:05:14 PDT 2006

An even simpler explanation is that the narrative is
written in the first person - It is essentially a
fictional memoir. In "real life" Sev surely meets
plenty of shmoes not worth mentioning. That's why he
doesn't mention them. It's selective recording, and
because Severian is being selective, it is probable
that he (the character, not Wolfe, though Wolfe also
of course) is trying to communicate something
indirectly. What that is is up for what is apparently
eternal debate. :)

Don