(urth) Re-reading, hoping for some discussion ;-)

HHR hubert.rogers at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 17 07:16:27 PDT 2006

In my admittedly limited experience trying to persuade friends into
reading New Sun, I've had no success. One friend read around 3 pages
and seemed to think that the whole main character as a torturer story
was a gimmick, and couldn't accept statements near the beginning of
the book such as the one about women not being allowed in the guild
because they could be too cruel.

It's a real shame, because all three people I've got to start reading
New Sun (and given copies of Shadow and Claw to), I know are the type
who would love the unsurpassed mysteries and adventure. I've always
thought it was just a matter of getting people to just have the
patience and open-mindedness to get past the first few chapters.

Other times I've wondered if it could be that we who have read
(multiple times) and loved every bit of TBotNS are somehow just
obsessive freaks for thinking so highly of it. But to be honest I
can't accept that. I'm cautious not to come across as a crazy
fanatic, and I know you can never please everyone and that there will
always be large proportions of the public who have no interest in a
given style, but I do know that the Wolfe's New Sun is not anywhere
near being given its due regard.

As Bsharp suggested, I agree a lot of this is down to the complete
lack of TV/cinema presence Wolfe has received.
Even though the endless detail and wealth in minor characters and
subplots (and lack of a simple and obvious primary plot!) make it
practically impossible for true justice to be done even in a trilogy
of 3 hour epics such as. Still I think if the atmosphere of Urth was
captured by a highly talented director (and great soundtrack and CGI
teams!), and even if a great deal of the book was cut out, the result
could be amazing.

The problem is there is so little awareness to spark interest in
making a cinema adaption. All we can do is our little part... put in
a good word wherever and whenever we can. I recently was looking up
Wolf related terms and characters on Wikipedia and it struck me that
good Wikipedia representation would be a great help to the cause.
I've just made my attempt on Erebus... Abaia is up next :-)