(urth) new history of the Peloponnesian War

Matthew King automatthew at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 14:36:16 PDT 2006

On Aug 8, 2006, at 2:27 PM, Chris wrote:

> I am not familiar with the work, but I would be slightly wary of
> reading too
> much into Latro's story from a modern book about its historical
> background.
> This background is, for Wolfe, seen more through the eyes of
> Herodotus,
> Thucydides or Xenophon.

The focus of _Carnage and Culture_ is on the nature and development
of Western military prowess, so the chapter on Salamis is not
directly relevant to _Soldier of the Mist_.  As I recall it, Latro
doesn't tell us much about the battle of Peace.

Knowing a little about the battle, the strategy of Themistocles, and
the appalling human loss on the side of the Persians:  I say knowing
some of this makes for a richer reading of _Mist_.

Regarding wariness toward modern books:  where do you suppose the
authors get their historical information about the Persian war if not
from Herodotos, et al.?