(urth) Severian's miraculous eclipse

mournings glory mourningsglory at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 26 14:12:11 PDT 2006

Mssrs. Lackey and Danehy-Oakes writing respectively:

> > I don't think there's much room for doubt that the sun was wounded in
> > Typhon's era. That's why he mentioned his scientists' errors in
> > calculating the effects of the black hole.

>Yep. In fact, I always took this to mean that Typhon's scientists
>had actually _put_ the Black Hole into the Old Sun, at his
>behest.

This seems to belie Sev's response to the villager in _Urth_ who, in
referencing early snowfalls two years in a row, proclaims, "The sky people
are angry at us."

Severian: ""The sky people--*the Hierodules and Hierarchs*--do not hate us.
It is only that they are remote from us, and they fear us because of things
we did before, long ago when our race was young."

Ergo, it seems Typhon had no direct involvement.

em