(urth) Severian's miraculous eclipse

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Wed Apr 26 12:26:58 PDT 2006

Greetings, Rex

>>Well, for what it is worth, there is my response. Be gentle, please- it is
my first time! :-) <<

Fwiw, and speaking in general terms, I think you got it right.

I don't think there's much room for doubt that the sun was wounded in
Typhon's era. That's why he mentioned his scientists' errors in calculating
the effects of the black hole. The decline in the sun's activity, in just a
"few years", led to famine and riots.

Whether the decline of the sun was caused directly by the Hierodules or
Typhon doesn't really matter, in a religious sense. It can -- and probably
will <g> -- be argued that Typhon, if he did it, like Satan, was doing the
Increate's bidding, whether he intended to or not.

-Roy