(urth) Severian's miraculous eclipse

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Wed Apr 26 06:27:48 PDT 2006

Howdy Rex.

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:14:26 +1000 Rex Racer <rex.racerx at gmail.com>
wrote:
>Hello. I am delurking as the timelines involved have been of
>interest for me
>for a good number of years.
>
>I am at work, and do not have my books handy, but I did believe
>the
>blackhole was inserted as punishment for Humanities' sin of taking

>its wars
>and strife out amongst the stars. I do believe this happened under

>Typhon.

But given the way the Hieros etc etc can operate out of time, it's
certainly possible for the punishment to be inflicted before the
crime, so to speak. Or at any rate, for the seeds of the punishment
to be sewn before the crime is committed.

After all, this is true of the agent of the redemption: the New Sun
is created before the crime (probably, depending on whether you
think the Apu Panchau era is before the war-and-strife-amongst-the-
stars era, which I do).

If the black hole thing happens in Typhon's time, then you have the
redemption starting before the punishment, which would also be odd.