(urth) OT: Christian relativity - in which I mangle philosophy of science

Iorwerth Thomas iorweththomas at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 25 02:10:17 PDT 2006

More or less what I intended to say;  thanks!  I'm largely riffing off
Pierre Duheim, who seemed to have some fairly sensible things to say on the
subject.

I'll also note (in order to muddy the waters a little) that in some
formulations of QFT (that of Peskin and Schroder's 'Introduction to Quantum
Field Theory', for example), the causality of special relativity is
technically violated, as particles can exhibit space-like propagation, but
operationally preserved, as observables are defined as commutators between
different field operators which vanish for spacelike propagators (i.e.
particles propagate faster than light, but you can't measure them, so it
doesn't matter).  There probably exist other formalisms that don't exhibit
this slightly unsatisfactory way of dealing with the problem.

Also, I think that in GR, the universe has a preffered frame of reference,
but I could be wrong.